Torotrak achieves increase in annual revenue

Torotrack, which manufactures transmission systems for vehicles, reported a 74 per cent rise in annual revenue to 7.5m pounds.

Torotrack, which manufactures transmission systems for vehicles, reported a 74 per cent rise in annual revenue to 7.5m pounds.

Profit after tax for the year ended March 31st 2013 came to £0.03m, compared to a loss of £1.6m a year earlier.

New Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Jeremy Deering, said the company's acquisition of Flybrid, which makes hybrid energy storage devices for F1 and mainstream vehicles, was a catalyst for growth.

The company spent £3.0m on a 20% stake in Flybrid with an option to purchase a remaining 80%.

Flybrid was already a technical partner, providing technologies to the Torotrack's mechanical kinetic energy recovery system (M-KERS) product line.

The firm expects to start manufacturing M-KERS units for the bus market from 2014.

Torotrack is in discussions with manufacturers about bringing M-KERS and variable engine product V-Charge to market for legislature in 2015 to 2020 for CO2 reduction.

Cash balances at the end of the period came to £8.9m, down from £10.5m in 2012, after making £3.2m of strategic investments, which also included the acquisition of the Motorsport Components business.

"With a pragmatic and diverse range of technologies, customers and partners; with our different routes to market and strategy to ensure we don't rely exclusively upon any one of them; and with a strengthening and confident Torotrak team, we are now in a better position than ever to deliver sustainable growth in value for shareholders," said Deering, who took over as CEO from Dick Elsy last September.

Shares rose 2.52% to 30.50p at 11:52 Wednesday.

RD

Recommended

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework
Investment strategy

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework

John Stepek talks to Steve Clapham, investor, analyst and author of The Smart Money Method, about the dangers in picking individual stocks and why you…
8 Apr 2021
BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations
Energy stocks

BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations

Oil major BP is to embark on a share buyback programme after significantly reducing its debts. Saloni Sardana looks at what it means for your portfoli…
6 Apr 2021
Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome
UK stockmarkets

Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome

Food delivery company Deliveroo made its debut on the stockmarket this morning. But with the share price sliding by 30% straight away, it’s not made t…
31 Mar 2021
Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19
Share tips

Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19

Professional investor Ed Wielechowski of Odyssean Capital, chooses three compelling stocks that should thrive in a post-pandemic world.
29 Mar 2021

Most Popular

“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?
Bitcoin

“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?

Dogecoin – a cryptocurrency created as a joke – has risen by more than 9,000% this year alone. Saloni Sardana looks at how something that began as an …
19 Apr 2021
The FTSE 100 has clawed back above 7,000 – how much higher can it go?
UK stockmarkets

The FTSE 100 has clawed back above 7,000 – how much higher can it go?

The FTSE 100 index has risen to over 7,000 for the first time in over a year – it now sits just above where it was in 1999. But its era of neglect cou…
19 Apr 2021
The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it
Bitcoin

The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it

The cryptocurrency’s price has soared far beyond its fundamentals, says Matthew Partridge. Here, he looks at how to short bitcoin.
12 Apr 2021