How to claw back tax overpaid when opting for pension drawdown

Many retirees opting for drawdown schemes – taking money out of their pension savings – have overpaid tax. Here’s what to do to get it back.

Tax rebate receipt © Getty Images
Refunds reached record levels in the second quarter of 2020
(Image credit: © Getty Images)

Savers received record average tax refunds of £3,560 each in the second quarter of 2020 after being overtaxed on withdrawals from their pensions. Total refunds since the pension freedom reforms of 2015 have now reached £627m.

The issue affects many savers opting to use drawdown schemes to access their pension funds on reaching retirement, rather than converting savings to income by buying an annuity. While savers may take the first 25% of their money tax-free, withdrawals above this amount are taxable at their marginal rate of income tax.

Drawdown plan providers often do not have an up-to-date tax code for savers taking money out of their funds in this way for the first time and are therefore forced to apply an emergency tax code. This often results in savers paying too much tax on their withdrawals, particularly on larger sums. The money then has to be reclaimed.

Subscribe to MoneyWeek

Subscribe to MoneyWeek today and get your first six magazine issues absolutely FREE

Get 6 issues free

Sign up to Money Morning

Don't miss the latest investment and personal finances news, market analysis, plus money-saving tips with our free twice-daily newsletter

Don't miss the latest investment and personal finances news, market analysis, plus money-saving tips with our free twice-daily newsletter

Sign up

The government has been urged to address this problem since the pension freedom reforms encouraged many more savers to consider drawdown plans. But while hundreds of thousands of savers have been caught out in this way over the past five years, HMRC has yet to find a solution to the problem. In the meantime, savers entering drawdown for the first time must check their tax position carefully.

Start slowly

It may be possible to avoid the problem. One workaround suggested by some pension providers is to treat your first withdrawal as a means to establish your tax position: where you’re intending to make a withdrawal above the 25% tax threshold, keep the additional sum to a minimum so you pay only a small amount of tax at the emergency rate.

Your pension provider should then be able to liaise with HMRC to ensure you pay the right amount of tax on subsequent withdrawals, though it may take a few weeks for the correct tax code to come through. Alternatively, those who do pay too much tax do not have to wait until the end of the tax year to reclaim what they are owed. While one option is to claim the excess back on your self-assessment tax return, you can secure a more speedy refund by making an immediate application to HMRC.

However, you will need to complete the right form. Savers who haven’t withdrawn their entire pension should use the P55 form to reclaim their excess tax; those who have withdrawn all their savings and have taxable income will need form P53Z. If you have no other taxable income, complete P50Z. The forms are at – you will need a Government Gateway account – and HMRC says refunds are paid within 30 days.

David Prosser
Business Columnist

David Prosser is a regular MoneyWeek columnist, writing on small business and entrepreneurship, as well as pensions and other forms of tax-efficient savings and investments. David has been a financial journalist for almost 30 years, specialising initially in personal finance, and then in broader business coverage. He has worked for national newspaper groups including The Financial Times, The Guardian and Observer, Express Newspapers and, most recently, The Independent, where he served for more than three years as business editor.