Coronavirus: should you go on holiday?

If the coronavirus breaks out at your holiday destination, what are your options when it comes to compensation?

Around 700 people are trapped at their hotel in Tenerife

Picture your next holiday and you probably don’t envision being trapped in your hotel receiving notes under the door from staff and being told you have to stay quarantined for two weeks. But that is exactly what has happened to around 700 guests at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Tenerife. After fellow guests were diagnosed with the coronavirus the hotel was put in quarantine. As the virus spreads across the world millions of travellers are wondering if it is safe to proceed with their trips. 

If you have decided you don’t want to go on your next holiday because you are worried about the virus, you may be able to get a refund, but this is far from guaranteed. Your first port of call should be the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) website

Subscribe to MoneyWeek

Become a smarter, better informed investor with MoneyWeek.

Start with the FCO

“If it has warned against ‘all travel’ to a destination, then airlines and package holiday providers must provide a full refund,” says Marianna Hunt in The Daily Telegraph. So far, the FCO has only warned against all travel to parts of China. The FCO is also advising against all but essential travel to all of mainland China, parts of South Korea and parts of northern Italy. In this scenario airlines and holiday firms can decide for themselves whether or not to offer a refund. 

When there is no FCO advice against travel, then your next option is to raise an official complaint with your holiday provider. “Package holiday firms may offer an alternative trip to a ‘safe’ location, but customers do not have to accept,” says Hunt. 

Advertisement - Article continues below

You should also contact your travel insurance provider to see if you are covered. Where there is FCO advice against all travel, most will pay out. When it is a case of “all but essential travel”, you may also be covered.

“If you are worried about trips to other areas where the virus has been reported, such as Tenerife… it might be possible to claim compensation even without an FCO warning,” says Kenza Bryan in The Times. 

“If your doctor tells you not to travel or if you have a note saying that your health would be at risk if you did so, insurers say they will consider your claim.” Anyone booking their summer holidays should buy travel insurance at the same time as their holiday. If the FCO changes its advice for your destination before you buy an insurance policy, your insurer won’t pay out.

The effect of coronavirus on work and schools

Will I get sick pay if I quarantine myself?

If you have travelled from an affected area and your employer or the government advises you to self-isolate, you are entitled to full pay. “Even if employers do not offer sick pay, workers are entitled to statutory sick pay for up to 28 weeks. It amounts to £94.25 per week and is paid from the fourth day of sickness,” notes Anthony Cuthbertson in The Independent.

My child’s school has closed and I have to stay home to care for them. Will I be paid?

“You have the right to reasonable time off to deal with... the care of your child,” says David Byers in The Times. But this kind of absence is unpaid unless you ask to use your annual leave.

I have tickets for an event that has been cancelled. Can I get a refund?

“You are covered if you bought the ticket from a primary seller such as Ticketmaster or the venue itself,” says Byers. You’ll only get the value of the ticket back, not the fees. You can also ask your card provider. You can use Chargeback to reverse the amount you paid on your debit card. If you paid by credit card – and spent over £100 – you can get a refund from the card issuer.



Investment strategy

The coronavirus is scary – but it's irrelevant to your investments

The spread of the coronavirus is causing alarm around the world. And, while it could be a serious short-term threat to human health, it’s not somethin…
24 Jan 2020

A few ways to save tax before the end of the tax year

The end of the tax year is nigh. You have until midnight on 5 April to take advantage of various tax allowances or risk losing them.
3 Apr 2020
Personal finance

FCA proposes credit-card payment freeze and £500 overdraft for all

The Financial Conduct Authority has said that loan and credit card repayments could be frozen for three months, while those affected financially by th…
2 Apr 2020
Personal finance

Coronavirus: how to get your money back if your holiday is cancelled

Have you had an upcoming holiday cancelled because of coronavirus? Ruth Jackson-Kirby explains how to get your cash back.
1 Apr 2020

Most Popular


Three things matter for the UK housing market now – and “location” isn’t one of them

The UK housing market is frozen. And when it does eventually thaw out, the traditional factors that drive prices will no longer apply. The day of reck…
1 Apr 2020

What does the coronavirus crisis mean for UK house prices?

With the whole country in lockdown, the UK property market is closed for business. John Stepek looks at what that means for UK house prices, housebuil…
27 Mar 2020

Has the stockmarket hit rock bottom yet?

The world's stockmarkets continue on their wild and disorientating rollercoaster ride. Investors are still gripped by fear. So, asks John Stepek, have…
2 Apr 2020

Oil shoots higher – have we seen the bottom for the big oil companies?

Just a few days ago everyone was worried about negative oil prices. Now, the market has turned upwards. John Stepek explains what’s behind the rise an…
3 Apr 2020