Advertisement

Evraz buys stake in Timor iron ore project in Russia

Steelmaker Evraz has signed an agreement to acquire a majority stake in the OSJC Timir iron ore project in Russia.

Steelmaker Evraz has signed an agreement to acquire a majority stake in the OSJC Timir iron ore project in Russia.

The company will pay 4,950 Russian Ruble (around $160m) for a 51% interest in the prospect. Alrosa will own the other 49% holding (minus one share) following completion of the transaction.

Advertisement - Article continues below

The joint venture includes four iron ore deposits - Tayozhnoye, Desovskoye, Tarynnakhskoye and Gorkitskoye - in the southern part of Yakutia in Russia.

The total mineral resource base under the Russian geological classification is 3.5bn tonnes.

The first phase involves the development of the Tayozhnoye deposit, located 150km north of Neryungri city, with total mineral resources under the Russian geological classification of 341m tonnes of iron ore and grades of 38-40%.

Total investments in the first phase of the project are estimated to amount to about $1.8bn from 2013 to 2018.

"The large iron ore resources of Timir in combination with proximity to the existing infrastructure provide for the efficient development of the project as a low cost operation," said Chief Executive Officer Alexander Frolov.

"The realisation of the Timir project is an important milestone of the company's strategy for securing a raw materials base for Evras ZSMK, and is envisaged to eventually replace the gradually depleting reserves of Evrazruda over the next five to 10 years."

RD

Advertisement
Advertisement

Recommended

Visit/investments/investment-strategy/601044/broker-safety-your-questions-answered
Investment strategy

Broker safety – your questions answered

Cris Sholto Heaton answers more of your questions about the safety of stockbroker accounts
25 Mar 2020
Visit/investments/investment-strategy/600861/how-demographics-affects-stock-valuations
Investment strategy

How demographics affects stock valuations

New research suggests that stock and bond valuations are driven by the age of the population – at least in the US.
24 Feb 2020
Visit/investments/stocks-and-shares/600863/sirius-minerals-anglo-american-takeover
Stocks and shares

Do you own shares in Sirius Minerals? Here’s what you need to do now

Mining giant Anglo American has proposed a cash takeover of Yorkshire-based minnow Sirius Minerals. Unhappy shareholders must decide whether to accept…
20 Feb 2020
Visit/investments/stockmarkets/600634/why-investors-should-be-cautiously-bullish-for-2020
Stockmarkets

Why investors should be “cautiously bullish” for 2020

Analysts have been out in force making rosy predictions for stockmarkets in 2020, but while there is certainly a case for optimism, investors should r…
17 Jan 2020

Most Popular

Visit/investments/commodities/industrial-metals/601401/money-printing-infrastructure-base-metals-copper
Industrial metals

Governments’ money-printing mania bodes well for base metals

Money is being printed like there is no tomorrow. Much of it will be used to pay for infrastructure projects – and that will be good for metals, says …
27 May 2020
Visit/economy/eu-economy/601422/heres-why-investors-should-care-about-the-eus-plan-to-tackle-covid-19
EU Economy

Here’s why investors should care about the EU’s plan to tackle Covid-19

The EU's €750bn rescue package makes a break-up of the eurozone much less likely. John Stepek explains why the scheme is such a big deal, and what it …
28 May 2020
Visit/investments/funds/601385/in-support-of-active-fund-management
Funds

In support of active fund management

We’re fans of passive investing here at MoneyWeek. But active fund management has its place too, says Merryn Somerset Webb.
25 May 2020