Edenville Energy narrows annual losses

Edenville Energy narrowed its annual losses as its cash reserves and net assets grew.

Edenville Energy narrowed its annual losses as its cash reserves and net assets grew.

The group reported an operating loss of £0.64m for the year ended December 31st 2012, compared to £1.2m the previous year.

Net assets rose to £10m from £8.6m while cash reserves increased to £0.78m from £0.51m.

Chairwoman Sally Schofield said last year the company made significant progress in developing a coal-based energy business in Tanzania where there is an increasing demand.

Last April the firm published a maiden inferred resource estimate for the Mkomolo deposit of 39m tonnes of sub-bituminous thermal coal with a calorific value of 17 megajoule per kilogram.

It provided a solid platform to initiate a second round of intensive drilling which was completed in November. The drilling resulted in an upgrade in the resource from inferred to measured and indicated categories, increasing the overall tonnage from 39m tonnes (inferred) to 45m tonnes (measured and indicated).

In August, Edenville exercised its final option on the Rukwa Coalfield project, covering Mkomolo, Namwele and Muze, taking the company's interest to 90% with the remaining 10% held by the local partner.

The last project to be drilled in 2012 was Muze which was affected by wet weather and operational problems. Five holes were drilled which added 5.0m tonnes, measured and indicated, to the company's asset base.

Looking ahead, Schofield said 2013 will be a "time of transition" as it focuses on assessing the commerciality of mining and near-surface coal at its Rukwa and iMkomolo projects.

"The resource statement gives us the clarity and confidence to embark on a new phase of activity, with the focus firmly on evaluating the commercial potential of our projects," she said.

"Should the outcomes be positive then we have the opportunity to realise significant value for shareholders and southern Tanzania alike."

Shares fell 10.26% to 0.18p at 14:26 Tuesday.

RD

Recommended

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework
Investment strategy

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework

John Stepek talks to Steve Clapham, investor, analyst and author of The Smart Money Method, about the dangers in picking individual stocks and why you…
8 Apr 2021
BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations
Energy stocks

BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations

Oil major BP is to embark on a share buyback programme after significantly reducing its debts. Saloni Sardana looks at what it means for your portfoli…
6 Apr 2021
Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome
UK stockmarkets

Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome

Food delivery company Deliveroo made its debut on the stockmarket this morning. But with the share price sliding by 30% straight away, it’s not made t…
31 Mar 2021
Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19
Share tips

Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19

Professional investor Ed Wielechowski of Odyssean Capital, chooses three compelling stocks that should thrive in a post-pandemic world.
29 Mar 2021

Most Popular

The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it
Bitcoin

The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it

The cryptocurrency’s price has soared far beyond its fundamentals, says Matthew Partridge. Here, he looks at how to short bitcoin.
12 Apr 2021
What does the Coinbase listing mean for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies?
Bitcoin

What does the Coinbase listing mean for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies?

As the bitcoin price hit new highs, the world's biggest cryptocurrency exchange, Coinbase, listed on the stockmarket. John Stepek looks at what that m…
15 Apr 2021
Properties for sale for around £400,000
Houses for sale

Properties for sale for around £400,000

From a converted church in Banffshire with views towards the Cairngorms National Park, to a period property in the Georgian market town of Beverley, e…
2 Apr 2021