ITV acquires controlling stake in Gurney Productions

ITV has agreed to acquire a controlling stake in Gurney Productions, an independent producer of US cable television networks.

ITV has agreed to acquire a controlling stake in Gurney Productions, an independent producer of US cable television networks.

The UK TV network is purchasing a 61.5% stake in Gurney Productions for $40m, with a put and call option to buy the remaining 38.5% interest in the company. The put and call could be made from three years after the initial deal.

ITV said the acquisition marked a significant step forward in building a strong global business. Gurney Productions is a high margin business with the company's EBITA for 2012 forecast at $10m.

The company's portfolio includes the highly successful cable show Duck Dynasty, a reality series about the family that runs the duck call fabrication business.

Adam Crozier, Chief Executive of ITV plc, said: "Growing ITVStudios is a key part of our strategy to rebalance the group. Our studios business is already showing strong organic growth and the acquisition of Gurney is an important step forward as we continue to expand our international production capability.

"We see the US as a key creative market and having a sizeable presence there is central to the expansion of our global content business. ITV Studios America has been growing revenues at around 20% for the last two years under the leadership of Paul Buccieri. Gurney is a great company with terrific programme brands, which will add scale to our already successful US business.

"Over the last seven years the team at Gurney has built a strong and growing pipeline of high end factual entertainment and reality programmes and I'm absolutely delighted to welcome Scott and Deirdre to the ITV fold where we believe the business can continue to develop and thrive."

Gurney Productions was founded in 2005 by Scott and Deirdre Gurney. It has become a leading independent producer of large scale returning series for US cable networks.

RD

Recommended

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework
Investment strategy

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework

John Stepek talks to Steve Clapham, investor, analyst and author of The Smart Money Method, about the dangers in picking individual stocks and why you…
8 Apr 2021
BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations
Energy stocks

BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations

Oil major BP is to embark on a share buyback programme after significantly reducing its debts. Saloni Sardana looks at what it means for your portfoli…
6 Apr 2021
Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome
UK stockmarkets

Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome

Food delivery company Deliveroo made its debut on the stockmarket this morning. But with the share price sliding by 30% straight away, it’s not made t…
31 Mar 2021
Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19
Share tips

Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19

Professional investor Ed Wielechowski of Odyssean Capital, chooses three compelling stocks that should thrive in a post-pandemic world.
29 Mar 2021

Most Popular

Lab-grown meat: how “moo’s law” will drive innovation
Soft commodities

Lab-grown meat: how “moo’s law” will drive innovation

Jim Mellon and Anthony Chow, co-founders of Aim-listed Agronomics, explain why they believe that “cellular agriculture” will benefit from massive long…
16 Apr 2021
The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it
Bitcoin

The bitcoin bubble will burst: here’s how to play it

The cryptocurrency’s price has soared far beyond its fundamentals, says Matthew Partridge. Here, he looks at how to short bitcoin.
12 Apr 2021
Lab-grown meat: the new agricultural revolution
Soft commodities

Lab-grown meat: the new agricultural revolution

Vegan alternatives are taking off, but the future of food technology lies in lab-grown meat – cultivating steaks and burgers from animal cells, says A…
16 Apr 2021