Too embarrassed to ask: what is a 60/40 portfolio?

If you’ve ever spoken to a financial adviser or read an investment magazine, you may have heard the term “60/40 portfolio”. But what exactly is a 60/40 portfolio?

If you’ve ever spoken to a financial adviser or read an investment magazine, you’ve probably come across the term “60/40 portfolio” before.  But what exactly is a 60/40 portfolio, and why have they proved so popular over the years? 

The term “60/40” refers to a style of asset allocation. Asset allocation is simply the process of splitting any money you plan to invest between different types of assets. The goal of asset allocation is to deliver the best possible expected return for your money, while avoiding taking more risk than you feel comfortable with. 

In the case of a 60/40 portfolio, 60% of your money goes into riskier assets – typically shares (or equities as they’re sometimes called). The other 40% goes into less risky assets – typically government bonds, which are just IOUs issued by governments.

Please note that when we talk about risk in this context, we’re referring to the longer-term volatility of your portfolio, rather than the risk of losing all your money. In other words, it’s a measure of how bumpy a ride you have to put up with along the way. Over the long run, financial theory suggests – and history backs this up – that if you are willing to take more risk, then you should get bigger returns. 

With a 60/40 portfolio, the idea is that you get a smoother ride than you would with a portfolio that was 100% in risky shares. But you also get better returns than if you were 100% in boring old bonds.

You would also make sure to rebalance your portfolio at least once a year. So for example, if bonds had gone up a lot and now accounted for more than 40% of the portfolio, you would put more money into equities, until you were back to a 60/40 allocation. 

The 60/40 portfolio has worked well for some time. However, past performance is not necessarily any guide to future performance. With bond yields now at or near record lows, and concerns about inflation rising, some investors are now questioning whether the 60/40 portfolio will continue to be a good bet in the decades to come.  

To find out more about that and about asset allocation in general, subscribe to MoneyWeek magazine.

Recommended

I wish I knew what asset allocation was, but I’m too embarrassed to ask
Too embarrassed to ask

I wish I knew what asset allocation was, but I’m too embarrassed to ask

Asset allocation is the process of dividing your investments between different asset classes, such as shares, bonds, property, cash and gold. Here's h…
6 Oct 2020
The giant investment platforms and the risk to shareholder capitalism
Investment strategy

The giant investment platforms and the risk to shareholder capitalism

The fact that so many of us invest via the big investment platforms means that there is a huge dislocation between the owner of the shares (us) and th…
23 Apr 2021
Vanguard's financial advice revolution
Investment strategy

Vanguard's financial advice revolution

Vanguard’s financial-planning product is transparent, cheap and low-hassle. The competition had better watch out
23 Apr 2021
I wish I knew what dogecoin was, but I’m too embarrassed to ask
Too embarrassed to ask

I wish I knew what dogecoin was, but I’m too embarrassed to ask

In the first four months of 2021, the value of cryptocurrency dogecoin shot up by around 9,000%. But what is dogecoin and why has it gone up so much?
20 Apr 2021

Most Popular

China owns a lot more gold than it’s letting on – and here’s why
Gold

China owns a lot more gold than it’s letting on – and here’s why

In a world awash with money-printing, a currency backed by gold would have great credibility. And China – with designs on the yuan becoming the world’…
21 Apr 2021
“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?
Bitcoin

“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?

Dogecoin – a cryptocurrency created as a joke – has risen by more than 9,000% this year alone. Saloni Sardana looks at how something that began as an …
19 Apr 2021
House prices in the UK are still surging – here’s why it’ll probably continue
Property

House prices in the UK are still surging – here’s why it’ll probably continue

The latest UK house price data shows no letup in the country’s booming property market, with the biggest yearly rise since 2014. And there’s no end in…
22 Apr 2021