IAG to buy Vueling for 113m euros

International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) is making a cash tender offer to buy 100 per cent of the share Vueling, the Spanish low-cost airline based in Barcelona.

International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) is making a cash tender offer to buy 100 per cent of the share Vueling, the Spanish low-cost airline based in Barcelona.

The offer will be launched exclusively on the Spanish stock markets and Veloz Holdco SLU has been created as an IAG subsidiary for this transaction.

IAG's subsidiary Iberia owns 45.85% of Vueling's shares currently and the Iberia board has agreed not to tender them in the offer. This means that Iberia would retain its shareholding in Vueling with IAG seeking to acquire the remaining 54.15%

The offer will be €7.00 per ordinary share of Vueling with the total cost of acquiring 54.15% anticipated to be €113m. It will be funded using internal IAG resources.

IAG chief executive Willie Walsh said: "With its leading position in Barcelona, European growth strategy and low cost base, Vueling has much to offer IAG. It has significantly increased capacity while remaining profitable, despite the Spanish economic slowdown, and already has extensive commercial arrangements with Iberia. We would plan to retain the current Vueling management team."

The reported total assets of Vueling as at September 30th were €805m and in the nine months to September 30th it generated profits before tax of €59m.

An application for authorisation of the offer, along with the prospectus and other legal documents, will be submitted within the next month to the Comisin Nacional del Mercardo de Valores (CNMV).

Subject to authorisation from the CNMV, the offer will be launched to Vueling's shareholders in the first quarter of 2013 and, if accepted, the deal is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2013.

The offer will be subject to a minimum acceptance condition of 90% of the voting rights of the Vueling shares not already owned by Iberia. It is not subject to regulatory approval by the European Commission.

CM

Recommended

Three stocks to provide income and growth in good times and bad
Share tips

Three stocks to provide income and growth in good times and bad

Professional investor Matthew Page of the Guinness Global Innovators fund picks three resilient stocks that should pay predictable dividends that grow…
5 Aug 2022
Share tips of the week – 5 August
Share tips

Share tips of the week – 5 August

MoneyWeek’s comprehensive guide to the best of this week’s share tips from the rest of the UK's financial pages.
5 Aug 2022
Invest in defence stocks as war goes hi-tech
Share tips

Invest in defence stocks as war goes hi-tech

The operational efficiency of defence equipment and cybersecurity is developing rapidly owing to the war in Ukraine, says Jonathan Compton. Here’s wha…
4 Aug 2022
Enjoy the bear market rally while it lasts
Stockmarkets

Enjoy the bear market rally while it lasts

Investors seem to think that a weaker US economy will cool inflation and see the Fed relent on interest rate rises. But that optimism may be misplaced…
3 Aug 2022

Most Popular

Are UK house prices finally heading for a crash?
House prices

Are UK house prices finally heading for a crash?

The latest house price figures show a fall of 0.1% in July. With interest rates rising, inflation hitting double figures and a recession on the cards,…
5 Aug 2022
What is stagflation and what can be done about it?
UK Economy

What is stagflation and what can be done about it?

The threat of 1970s-style stagflation has returned, here’s what you need to know.
4 Aug 2022
Share tips of the week – 5 August
Share tips

Share tips of the week – 5 August

MoneyWeek’s comprehensive guide to the best of this week’s share tips from the rest of the UK's financial pages.
5 Aug 2022