Genel Energy makes 'significant' oil discovery in Iraq

Oil and gas company Genel has announced a 'significant' oil discovery at the first of five exploration wells it plans to drill this year in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.

Oil and gas company Genel has announced a 'significant' oil discovery at the first of five exploration wells it plans to drill this year in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.

The company said the Chia Surkh 10 well was drilled to a depth of 1,696 metres in the Oligo-Miocene section, and, in tests extending over several days, flowed at up to 11,950 barrels of oil a day and 15m cubic feet of gas.

A second drill-stem test is being planned for the Miocene section, after which the well will be suspended as a future producer.

The group has begun a second well, Chia Surkh 11, to appraise the discovery.

Chief Executive Tony Hayward said: "We intend to carry out a rapid appraisal and development programme and expect to have an early production scheme operating in the first half of 2014. Over the same period we will be evaluating and drilling a number of other prospects we have in the Chia Surkh licence.

"We are delighted at this level of success in what is the first of the five high-impact exploration wells we plan in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq during 2013. To have made a discovery of such potential materiality at this early stage is highly encouraging."

Chia Surkh 10 is the first exploration well to be drilled on the Chia Surkh acreage since 1954. The 985 square kilometre licence is operated and held 60% by Genel Energy. The remaining 40% is held equally between Petoil and the Kurdistan regional government.

NR

Recommended

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework
Investment strategy

The MoneyWeek Podcast: picking stocks is fun, but you need to do your homework

John Stepek talks to Steve Clapham, investor, analyst and author of The Smart Money Method, about the dangers in picking individual stocks and why you…
8 Apr 2021
BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations
Energy stocks

BP looks set to return more money to shareholders as it beats expectations

Oil major BP is to embark on a share buyback programme after significantly reducing its debts. Saloni Sardana looks at what it means for your portfoli…
6 Apr 2021
Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome
UK stockmarkets

Deliveroo has hit the market – but it’s not getting the warmest welcome

Food delivery company Deliveroo made its debut on the stockmarket this morning. But with the share price sliding by 30% straight away, it’s not made t…
31 Mar 2021
Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19
Share tips

Three stocks to buy now that will come back stronger after Covid-19

Professional investor Ed Wielechowski of Odyssean Capital, chooses three compelling stocks that should thrive in a post-pandemic world.
29 Mar 2021

Most Popular

“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?
Bitcoin

“Joke” cryptocurrency dogecoin goes to the moon. What’s going on?

Dogecoin – a cryptocurrency created as a joke – has risen by more than 9,000% this year alone. Saloni Sardana looks at how something that began as an …
19 Apr 2021
China owns a lot more gold than it’s letting on – and here’s why
Gold

China owns a lot more gold than it’s letting on – and here’s why

In a world awash with money-printing, a currency backed by gold would have great credibility. And China – with designs on the yuan becoming the world’…
21 Apr 2021
Why investment advice could be about to get a lot cheaper
Investment strategy

Why investment advice could be about to get a lot cheaper

Vanguard, the world’s second-biggest asset manager, is launching its own cut-price financial advice service. It’s something the industry badly needs, …
20 Apr 2021