Genel Energy signs deal in Morocco

Genel Energy, the oil and gas giant led by former-BP frontman Tony Hayward, has signed a petroleum agreement with the Moroccan Office National des Hydrocarbures et de Mines (ONHYM).

Genel Energy, the oil and gas giant led by former-BP frontman Tony Hayward, has signed a petroleum agreement with the Moroccan Office National des Hydrocarbures et de Mines (ONHYM).

Under the agreement, which is still subject to the approval of the Moroccan government, Genel is granted a 75 per cent equity interest in, and operatorship of, the Mir Left Offshore Block, offshore Morocco. The other 25% will be held by ONHYM.

As part of the deal, Genel must acquire a minimum of 400 square km of 3D seismic data and to drill one exploration well during the three-year initial exploration period, which it will fund from its existing cash resources.

There are two further optional exploration periods of three years and two years respectively.

The block covers an area of 3,259 square kilometres with water depth ranging from 60 to 320 metres. It lies adjacent to, and to the north-east of, the Sidi Moussa Offshore Block in which Genel Energy recently acquired a 60% equity interest.

Dr. John Hurst Chief Operating Officer of Africa for Genel, said: "We are delighted to have signed this new block, further deepening our position in the fairway associated with the proven working petroleum system in offshore Morocco. We intend to commence the acquisition of 3D seismic in January 2013, with the aim of drilling our first well in 2014."

The share price fell 1.1% to 811p by 13:53.

NR

Recommended

Britain’s ten most-hated shares – w/e 9 August
Stocks and shares

Britain’s ten most-hated shares – w/e 9 August

Rupert Hargreaves looks at Britain's ten most-hated shares, and what short-sellers are looking at now.
10 Aug 2022
Aviva: One for income investors to tuck away
Share tips

Aviva: One for income investors to tuck away

Insurance giant Aviva is one of the highest yielding stocks in the FTSE 100 – and it’s cheap, too, making it a tempting target for income investors. R…
10 Aug 2022
Director dealings w/e 5 August: what company insiders are buying and selling
Stocks and shares

Director dealings w/e 5 August: what company insiders are buying and selling

Directors’ share dealings can often give investors an insight into the sentiment of company insiders. Here are some of the biggest deals by company di…
9 Aug 2022
Britain’s most-bought shares w/e 5 August
Stocks and shares

Britain’s most-bought shares w/e 5 August

A look at Britain’s most-bought shares as of 5 August, providing an insight into how investors are thinking and where opportunities may lie.
9 Aug 2022

Most Popular

Are UK house prices finally heading for a crash?
House prices

Are UK house prices finally heading for a crash?

The latest house price figures show a fall of 0.1% in July. With interest rates rising, inflation hitting double figures and a recession on the cards,…
5 Aug 2022
Brace yourself for the return of rationing
Economy

Brace yourself for the return of rationing

Russia is turning off the cheap energy. That is already leading to belt-tightening, says Matthew Lynn. Who will suffer most, and which sectors will th…
5 Aug 2022
Fear of missing out – what should investors do now?
Investment strategy

Fear of missing out – what should investors do now?

Markets have rallied from their mid-June lows. But if you missed out, as most investors did, what should you do now? Max King explains.
8 Aug 2022