Properties with ecclesiastical connections
This week: properties with ecclesiastical connections – from a medieval former almshouse with an attached chapel in Exeter, Devon, to a converted Victorian church near Elgin.
The Old Manse, Kinneff, Inverbervie, Kincardineshire. A former manse rumoured to have been the hiding place of Scotland’s crown jewels during Cromwell’s invasion in 1651. 5 beds, 2 baths, dressing room, 3 receps, study, breakfast kitchen, courtyard, summer house, kennels, 2-bed cottage, gardens, 1.82 acres. £560,000+ Savills 01356-628628.
The Old Rectory, Meysey Hampton, Gloucestershire. This 17th-century, Grade II-listed rectory has been extended to include a contemporary kitchen/breakfast room. It retains its original iron-casement windows and open fireplace. 7 beds, 4 baths, 3 receps, study, outbuildings, gardens, 6.81 acres. £2.25m Butler Sherborn 01285-883740.
Old Church, Cove, Devon. This Grade II-listed Victorian church was built in 1854 on the site of an earlier chapel. It was converted in 2009 and retains its original stained-glass windows, stone archways, vaulted ceilings and roof timbers, with the carved stone pulpit now located in the dining room. 3 beds, 2 baths, recep, open-plan kitchen/dining/living room, workshop, garden, graveyard, 0.5 acres. £695,000 Knight Frank 01392-848824.
Parrandier, The Old Church of Urquhart, near Elgin, Moray. This converted, 1840s, B-listed church is currently run as a four-star bed-and-breakfast business. It is situated in a rural location five miles east of Elgin, close to the Grampian Highlands and sandy beaches of the Moray Firth. It retains its original Gothic-style doors, oak ceiling beams and bell tower. 5 beds, 5 baths, 3 receps, open-plan drawing room, vestry and altar room. £599,000+ Bell Ingram 01463-717799.
Watergate House, Canterbury, Kent. This restored, Grade II-listed manor belonged from Saxon times to St Augustine’s Abbey and was rebuilt in 1560. It has panelled walls, open fireplaces, riverside gardens and two water meadows. 7 beds, 4 baths, 3 receps, library, 1.4 acres. £2m Strutt & Parker 01227-451123.
Thatch End, Pitsford, Northamptonshire. A 19th-century cottage with a chapel and coach house that have been converted into a two-bedroom flat with a ground floor currently used as a workshop that has planning permission to be converted into accommodation. The cottage has beamed ceilings, a stone fireplace with a wood-burning stove and a kitchen with an Aga. 2 beds, bath, dressing room, recep, conservatory. £580,000+ Carter Jonas 01604-608200.
The Old Priest’s House, The Village, Prestbury, Cheshire. A Grade II-listed, restored house considered by English Heritage to be one of the finest examples of Tudor architecture in the country. It dates from 1448 and was formerly the vicarage to St Peters Church. It retains its original wall and ceiling timbers and leaded-light windows. 3 beds, 3 baths, 2 receps, allocated parking, paved patio. £850,000 Savills 01625-417450.
9 Wynards & Wynards Chapel, Exeter, Devon. This Grade II-listed house and attached chapel form part of a cobbled courtyard of nine properties originally built as almshouses in 1436. The restored chapel was rebuild in the 17th century and has stained-glass windows and painted murals. A doorway in the minstrels’ gallery connects to the house, which has an open-plan living area/kitchen, 3 beds, 2 baths, a cellar and a communal garden. £500,000+ Strutt & Parker 01392-215631.