Chariot Oil & Gas takes on Moroccan oil prospects

Chariot Oil and Gas, the Africa focused commodities explorer, said it had acquired two prospective blocks off the coast of Morocco.

Chariot Oil and Gas, the Africa focused commodities explorer, said it had acquired two prospective blocks off the coast of Morocco.

The company has struck a deal with Maghreb Petroleum Exploration whereby the latter will transfer its 75% ownership and operational interests in the Loukos and Casablanca/Safi blocks to Chariot.

In exchange, Chariot will take on the work commitments and obligations of the initial exploration phase for each licence.

The company said it intended to apply "modern exploration techniques to the results of previous exploration work".

Chief Executive Paul Welch said the Loukos and Casablanca areas had been of interest to Chariot for some time.

"We consider [them] to hold significant potential," he said.

Once the deal is approved by Moroccan authorities, Chariot will hold a 75% equity interest in the two exploration permits, with the Office National des Hydrocarbures et des Mines holding the other 25%.

Following approval, Chariot will be required to reprocess 835km of 2D seismic data within the Loukos licence and 1,200km of 2D seismic data within the Casablanca/Safi licence, within a six month exploration period.

Once complete, Chariot will have the option to move forward into further exploration phases which would involve the acquisition of 3D seismic data and the subsequent undertaking of exploration drilling activities.

Recommended

The ten highest dividend yields in the FTSE 100
Income investing

The ten highest dividend yields in the FTSE 100

Rupert Hargreaves takes a look at the companies with the highest dividend yields in the UK’s blue-chip index
6 Feb 2023
The outlook for Shell shares is mixed, despite bumper profits
Energy stocks

The outlook for Shell shares is mixed, despite bumper profits

With profits surging, it looks as if Shell is on a roll, but the company’s growth from here is hard to see as Rupert Hargreaves explains.
6 Feb 2023
The top funds to invest in
Funds

The top funds to invest in

As market volatility and recessionary fears continue, here are the most popular funds, stocks and trusts investors are putting their money into accord…
2 Feb 2023
The top ten dividend stocks in the FTSE 250
Share tips

The top ten dividend stocks in the FTSE 250

The average FTSE 250 dividend yield is around 4%, but many stocks yield much more. Rupert Hargreaves picks the best FTSE 250 stocks for income investo…
17 Jan 2023

Most Popular

NS&I brings back one-year fixed bonds with highest rates since 2010
Personal finance

NS&I brings back one-year fixed bonds with highest rates since 2010

NS&I’s one-year fixed bonds are back on sale after being pulled off the market in 2019 - but is the rate any good?
1 Feb 2023
The best one-year fixed savings accounts - February 2023
Savings

The best one-year fixed savings accounts - February 2023

Earn almost 5% on one-year fixed savings accounts.
6 Feb 2023
Will energy prices go down in 2023?
Personal finance

Will energy prices go down in 2023?

Wholesale gas prices are on a downward trajectory, but does this mean lower energy bills later this year?
6 Feb 2023