Advertisement

ENRC to spend half a billion dollars on DRC expansion

Mining titan Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC), is to buy the remaining stake in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) focused group Camrose Resources for over half a billion dollars, the firm announced on Monday.

Mining titan Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC), is to buy the remaining stake in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) focused group Camrose Resources for over half a billion dollars, the firm announced on Monday.

ENRC Congo BV, which already owns 50.5% of Camrose, has proposed to buy the remaining 49.5% interest for $550m in cash.

Advertisement - Article continues below

The acquisition is an attempt to simplify its organisational structure and consolidate its position within the DRC.

Camrose holds interests in a variety of copper and cobalt licences in the country, including a 70% indirect interest in Metalkol, 64% of Toronto-listed Africo Resources and a 55% indirect interest in La Congolaise des Mines et de Dveloppement Sprl (otherwise known as Comide).

ENRC said the takeover, while generating "significant profits and positive cash flows", will also help it to increase operational synergies across its regional copper and cobalt operations.

ENRC Chief Executive Felix J Vulis said: "Consolidating our ownership of Camrose will be an important step forward for the group, enabling us to gain maximum benefit from the development of these assets and to continue to support our strategy and ambition of becoming a material African copper producer."

The proposed deal will require the approval of ENRC shareholders at a meeting at the end of the month.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Recommended

Broker safety – your questions answered
Investment strategy

Broker safety – your questions answered

Cris Sholto Heaton answers more of your questions about the safety of stockbroker accounts
25 Mar 2020
How demographics affects stock valuations
Investment strategy

How demographics affects stock valuations

New research suggests that stock and bond valuations are driven by the age of the population – at least in the US.
24 Feb 2020
Do you own shares in Sirius Minerals? Here’s what you need to do now
Stocks and shares

Do you own shares in Sirius Minerals? Here’s what you need to do now

Mining giant Anglo American has proposed a cash takeover of Yorkshire-based minnow Sirius Minerals. Unhappy shareholders must decide whether to accept…
20 Feb 2020
Why investors should be “cautiously bullish” for 2020
Stockmarkets

Why investors should be “cautiously bullish” for 2020

Analysts have been out in force making rosy predictions for stockmarkets in 2020, but while there is certainly a case for optimism, investors should r…
17 Jan 2020

Most Popular

An economics lesson from my barber
Inflation

An economics lesson from my barber

On reopening his shop after lockdown, Dominic Frisby’s barber doubled his prices. It’s all part of the post-Covid inflation process – and we’re going …
8 Jul 2020
Can Rishi Sunak save the economy with stamp duty cuts and half-price meal deals?
UK Economy

Can Rishi Sunak save the economy with stamp duty cuts and half-price meal deals?

John Stepek runs his eye over the chancellor's £30bn stimulus package and asks if it's enough to get the economy back on its feet after months of lock…
9 Jul 2020
Have small companies lost their edge?
Sponsored

Have small companies lost their edge?

SPONSORED CONTENT – The tectonic plates beneath the modern investing landscape appear to have started moving in new directions
26 Jun 2020