Global markets roundup, 7 May

• FTSE 100 down 0.4% to 6,798

• Gold down 0.17% to $1,308.04/oz

• £/$ – 1.6975

The FTSE 100 fell back yesterday, slipping 0.4% to close at 6,798.

Barclays was the worst performer, falling 5.2% after reporting a big fall in profits. Drugmakers Shire and AstraZeneca were also deep in the red, down 3.1% and 2.7% respectively.

In Europe yesterday, the Paris CAC 40 fell 34 points to 4,428, and the German Xetra Dax fell 62 points to 9,467.

In the US yesterday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.8% to 16,401, the S&P 500 fell 0.9% to 1,867, and the Nasdaq Composite slid 1.4% to close at 4,080.

Overnight in Japan, the Nikkei 225 slumped 2.9% to 14,033 and the broader Topix slid 2.6% to 1,152. And in China, the Shanghai Composite and the CSI 300 each fell 0.9% to 2,010 and 2,137 respectively.

Brent spot was trading at $107.32 early today, and in New York, crude oil was at $100.19. Spot gold was trading at $1,313 an ounce, silver was at $19.70 and platinum was at $1,447.

In the forex markets this morning, sterling was trading against the US dollar at 1.6978 and against the euro at 1.2187. The dollar was trading at 0.7178 against the euro and 101.53 against the Japanese yen.

And today, Sainsbury’s reported record annual profits. In the year to 15 March, pre-tax profits rose by 16.3% to £898m. Overall sales grew by 2.7%, while sales at its convenience stores were up by 19%, and online sales rose by 12%.

• Stay up to date with MoneyWeek: Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Google+

MoneyWeek magazine

Latest issue:

Magazine cover
Why you should worry about Greece

...and how to protect your wealth

The UK's best-selling financial magazine. Take a FREE trial today.
Claim 4 FREE Issues

From ADRs to Z scores – all the terms you wish you understood, but were too embarrassed to ask about.

Gervais Williams: if you want real dividend growth, buy small-cap stocks

Merryn Somerset Webb interviews small-cap stock expert Gervais Williams about how penny shares outperform blue chips 'again and again'.


Which investment platform is the right one for you?

When it comes to buying shares and funds, there are several investment platforms and brokers to choose from, with varying fees and charges. Find out which is best for you.


7 July 1753: The British Museum is established by Act of Parliament

On this day in 1753, Parliament passed the British Museum Act, providing for a public lottery to raise £300,000 to build a home for the nation's treasures.


Anatomy of a Grexit: how Greece would go about leaving the euro

Jonathan Loynes and Jennifer McKeown, economists at Capital Economics, look at the key issues and challenges of a Grexit, how it might be best managed, and set out a timetable for change.